DeWalt 20V Max 1.3Ah and 18V Nano Phosphate Teardown

Another week in May, another pair of tool packs in my series of tool pack teardowns!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.sevarg.net/2017/05/13/dewalt-20v-max-13ah-and-18v-nano/

(Comments from Blogger)

2017-05-22 by Ned Funnell

Hmm- isn’t the MSP430 idle draw something like 30uA?

2017-05-22 by Russell Graves

Probably something like that. I don’t know if they bother with a deep sleep or not.

2017-07-27 by mk

I’m sorry to destroy your Type 1/2 theory, but on my 4.0 Packs which are definitley 4A charge current is a Type 2 mark. It may be just a internal generation thing from DeWalt?

2017-07-27 by Russell Graves

Well, then, I have no idea! :smiley: It would be wonderful if they’d document this stuff somewhere…

2018-03-16 by Joe the Jerk

OK, so I’ve figured out the type thing (for real this time). It’s Black and Decker’s typology for different versions of things…all things. In this instance, the Type 1 battery is the first one developed for the so-called 20V tools, and Type 2 is modified from Type 1 by adding five cells. If you have any old B+D tools, look for “Type 1” on the sticker or plate. I’m looking at a vintage Canadian-made B+D drill right now, and it’s a Type 1.

Now you might be saying “But Russell already reviewed the new 6 Ah pack and it said ‘Type 2’ right on it, you idiot!” That is indeed true, but really, how does it justify a new pack type? It has the same number of cells in an identical configuration, they’re just fatter.

2019-07-19 by Panos

Still using a couple of 9180 battery packs bought in 2007 and they still run strong. They have been the most reliable and longer lasting Dewalt batteries that I have ever used.

2020-04-29 by mbrick

I thought the Type 1, Type 2, etc referred to the revision of the product. So as they make incremental changes to the same product they increase the Type number. I’ve noticed this when looking for spare parts on the dewalt service net. Pick a DW705 for example and it has Type 1 through Type 8, and I have one that is somewhere in the middle.

Just another theory at least…

2020-06-10 by Rickman30

Hello.

I am very intrested in swapping my 18V NiCad battery internals, some XRP NiCad, some NiMH with the same internals from the older 18V NANO Phosphate and using them with my DC9310 charger and Dewalt 18v tools . Is that possible? Any tutorials on how? Any advice?

My 2 9180 packs were still going fine, since 2009. Left my saw out in the rain, the saw is ok but the battery not.
It wouldn’t charge and read 6v. I pulled the pack apart, got the bms out by using a short bit and a mini socket drive on the 2 screws. I then used a screwdriver to lever the bms out so it is all in one piece. The batteries read 19 something volts so the batteries are fine and i guess the bms is not. Any chance of fixing it or getting another? Still over $120 for a new pack here in Australian. Seems a shame to throw out a perfectly good battery.
Still pissed off that Dewalt changed the battery design. I have a few of the later tools niw and using the adaptor for them.
Another thought, what if i bypass the bms and just connect the battery wires? Catch on fire when charging??

Which pack? The 20V Max small one, or the Nano Phosphate 18V one?

The 18v Nano Phosphate with the bms in the shaft.

I would not be comfortable charging that pack without any internal BMS support or balancing. You could probably hack it to use an external balancing charger, and have some variety of low voltage cutoff, but that sounds like more work than it’s worth.

Yeah, you are probably right, not worth the trouble.
Thanks a lot for your help anyway, interesting site.

I accept I’m very, very conservative when it comes to how I treat lithium ion batteries - even LFP. I consider anything below (for a 3.7V nominal chemistry) 2.5V or so to be something best kept very short, and if a cell is below 2.0V, I probably won’t charge it unless I know exactly how it got there and for how long it’s been there. The stuff I used to see constantly - recycling stone dead laptop batteries and charging them, all sorts of mixed chemistries, histories, etc? I consider that just begging for a battery runaway and fire, at some point in the future. Most won’t. Some will. And there’s basically no way to tell ahead of time.

Yeah, it sucks to kill a pack, but a $100 pack is a lot less expensive than burning down your property.