How far can you ride an electric bike on the power it takes to produce a Model S battery pack?

A truth of modern industrial society is that it takes energy to make things.

Sometimes, that energy is better spent doing things than making the thing to save energy or “be green.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.sevarg.net/2015/11/06/how-far-can-you-ride-electric-bike-on/

(Comments from Blogger)

2015-11-05 by Timbersmith

You can probably walk a million miles with the energy it takes to make an electric bike.

2015-11-05 by Russell Graves

Some studies have found electric bikes, even with a high carbon grid, to be better in terms of emissions than straight pedal bikes or walking.

Bikes are significantly more efficient than walking.

2015-11-06 by David

And that’s just to make the pack!

An ebike is on my medium term savings plan. I think it will help me stick with the bike versus car on several common longish trips I make with loads, but especially during winter, because I won’t have to worry as much about getting sweaty underneath all my cold gear layers. (Yes, I’m the weird biker who complains much more about sweat when it is cold than when it is hot.)

2015-11-06 by Russell Graves

It’s quite nice in the winter for that exact reason!

2015-11-06 by Cameron Newland

That makes sense. Plus, electric bike owners put more miles on their bikes and use their bikes more often than those who ride non-electric bikes, and every trip you take on an e-bike is one less car trip.

2015-11-08 by Mike Halcrow

(citation needed)

The cyclists I know ride a lot more than the ebikers I know.

2015-11-08 by Russell Graves

Your 100 mile weekend rides don’t generally replace a car trip. They’re recreational.