PIREPs #1

Or “Pilot Reports.”  Number one.  Because this is the first of them on this blog.

Flying.  It’s awesome.  I do it.  I’m finally able to do more of it.  Keep reading for more!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.sevarg.net/2018/04/29/pireps-1/

(Comments from Blogger)

2018-04-28 by Ned Funnell

Come visit 41U! 10k feet, recently paved, GPS approach, and only 388 nmi from Nampa!

2018-04-29 by RonF

Back a long time ago, in the early 1970s, I flew a lot in a small 172 & then a 182 doing magnetometer surveys in Montana and Wisconsin. I was the operator, not pilot, and will always fondly remember these flights.

We flew a survey over Flathead Lake in Montana and I remember flying up box canyons going east, flipping over on a wing-over and then dropping down into the next canyon going west. I was in the back, changing records and annotating records so I didn’t see where we were going but the passenger surely did.

Later we flew a survey over The Montana Lineament in the mountains. It was a constant elevation survey, 500 feet above the ground. We started at 7 am and flew until it got bumpy, noon or 1 at the latest. I learned to eat a proper, soothing, breakfast before those flights. Cereal with milk. No greasy bacon.

The one guy I flew most with owned the 172. He was a WWII Mustang pilot, instrument rated, but he took no chances. Once, in Wisconsin, we started out heading north from Milwaukee and as we went the cloud bank came down closer and closer to the ground. He turned around saying “I don’t choose to fly on instruments.” Good guy.

When we flew near Flathead Lake, going back and forth to the airport, I’d spot something of interest on the ground and I’d ask John about it. He flipped the plane up on a wing so both of us could look down. After that opening up the luggage door and deploying the “bird” was almost second nature, sitting up in the open air.

2018-04-29 by Russell Graves

What’s 10k feet? Everything about that field is 5500’ - elevation and runway length.

But, yes, that’s well within reasonable to visit at some point!

2018-04-30 by Aaron

Fun! I’ve always wanted to get my private pilots license, but living in LA for the last while and while I suppose I could at one of the regional airports, it’d be quite hard to learn. Plus, rental & fuel is going to be $$$$ I bet.