Project Volterra

So looks like Microsoft will be producing an ARM mini PC. While it’s unlikely to approach the performance levels of Apples m1, it’s likely to be one of the more powerful arm systems available. It’ll be interesting to see what it ends up costing and how long it takes someone to work out how to install Linux on it. And further if it’s possible to get enough support for it’s features into the kernel so it’s a viable install target for common distributions.

Isn’t snapdragon a mobile chip and so android probably already has decent support?

Android support doesn’t mean mainline support. :frowning:

I don’t see what cores it has? I’d love an octo-X1 or something. But, of course, if that’s ever made, it’ll be in a $2000 laptop.

One would hope it’s at least a Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3, in which case it could be a mix of X1 (x1), A78 (x3) and A55 (x4) cores, or better…

Wasn’t one of the Snapdragons something like 4x X1, and 4x A78 as the “efficiency” cores?

Not sure, looking at Wikipedia it seems the most recent snapdragon is Armv9 based with 1x X2 (3.2ghz), 3x A710 and 4x A510…

They may have announced something more recently than that I guess…