Smoke Season 2022

It’s here.

Seems as though air quality is going to hell, blame California, Oregon, Washington, the usual.

My advice at this point:

If you want the odor filters, OK, but I’ve not found a need for them. Just keeping the particulate matter out is good enough.

And then build yourself a box filter for some sort of fan, because they work very well.

sigh Anyway, it’s far later than last year, at least. Now to figure out filters for windows, so I can vent the house when it cools down outside.

Tbh mine have the P100+organic vapor combo on my half face for a ‘do it all’ kinda setup.

Vogmask is pretty good too, depending on your face/beard/etc may may not be quite as sealed, but even with my trimmed beard it’s noticeable to me that I’m breathing in through the filter, rather than around the edges, at least the vast majority. They also have real testing and it does filter out down to very small sizes. The test particulate generator produces sub-micro particulates, which the mask, even after wearing multiple times and washing it, >95% efficiency.

The filter tester used in testing was a TSI® CERTITEST® Model 8130 Automated Filter Tester that is
capable of efficiency measurements of up to 99.999%. It produced a particle size distribution with a count
median diameter of 0.075 ± 0.020 microns (µm) and a geometric standard deviation not exceeding
1.86 µm. The mass median diameter was approximately 0.26 µm, which is generally accepted as the
most penetrating aerosol size.

Nuisance level filters, or the proper full on organic filters? How do those flow? I’ve not actually used a set of them.

Not great, about like the P100 pink filters, maybe a tad less even. They have an expiration date after opening, only because there’s no way to measure how much the filter medium has been used and consumed before it is no longer doing its job. They are primarily activated carbon, so saturation of the filter medium means the filter will begin passing contaminants through the medium; unlike particulate filtration which is obviously used up once breathing becomes difficult through a clogged filter.

3M technical bulletin will tell you those last 40 hours of use or 30 days, whichever is first. I tend to buy and toss them after specific projects involving large quantities of solvents since those are fairly few and far between, so it’s well past a practical ‘use-by’ date from opening even if kept in a plastic bag when not in use.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/990135O/how-an-organic-vapor-cartridge-works.pdf
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/525967O/3m-combination-cartridge-filter-p100-user-instructions.pdf

1 Like

Decently. Mind you, mine are a couple of years old now and if I really cared they should be replaced (carbon filters have a limited certified lifespan) but I can breathe well enough and I can do yardwork in them.

I mean I can paint in them and still not smell anything, so…