Solar Shed: Part 6: Foamboard Insulation

After finally getting the rock wool insulation up in my Solar Shed (the walls were easy, the ceiling was quite hard), the next step is to install 2” thick foamboard to cover the insulation, and seal all the joints.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.sevarg.net/2016/06/18/solar-shed-part-6-foamboard-insulation/

(Comments from Blogger)

2016-06-19 by dude mcginty

Lookin’ good. Is there such a thing as being too well sealed? Any concern for CO poisoning if you hole yourself up for too long? Or noxious fumes lingering way longer than they should?

2016-06-22 by Russell Graves

There probably is such a thing, but I don’t think I’ve hit that point. Though, I do notice that, shall we say, “self inflicted noxious fumes” do linger longer than I’d prefer.

I’ll be putting in a full ventilation system at some point - think “movable fume hood” type setup, and pairing that with a filtered intake.

2016-07-03 by Ned Funnell

Any plans for a heat exchanger as part of the vent system?

2016-07-03 by Russell Graves

Probably not. I’m not sure it would have much value in such a small space - the energy required to heat or cool it is fairly low to start with.

2018-08-03 by Unknown

I’m doing something similar, and used Tyvek homewrap to hold the rockwool into the ceiling spaces. It’s easy to cut to size and staple up solo, and lets the covering (original shiplap in my case) rest pretty much against the studs. It also helps airflow sealing.

2018-08-05 by Russell Graves

That’s a really good idea! Thanks for suggesting it!

2019-06-06 by oceansmiles

Vapor barrier- you said this equates to 1/2 of one instead of 2? I have a Tuff Shed I want to insulate and cool (in FL!), and the whole thing has radiant barrier. I’ve had many different suggestions as to how to do this well - including a variety of insulation materials, using house wrap, etc.

2019-06-09 by Russell Graves

Florida is humid enough that you’ll want to talk to someone who does local construction/design. I can get away with a lot out here that wouldn’t work other places because we basically don’t have humidity 9 months of the year - 40% RH is humid, and it often runs below 15%, so I don’t have to worry about moisture nearly as much.