The Roku Privacy Policy

You want a laugh? Read through this privacy policy. Find the problems and “… you’re what with my data?” bits.

I’ll start with a few gems, emphasis mine:

We may receive information about the browser and devices you use to access the Internet, including our services, such as device types and models, unique identifiers (including, for Roku Devices, the Advertising Identifier associated with that device), IP address, operating system type and version, browser type and language, Wi-Fi network name and connection data, and information about other devices connected to the same network.

We receive information about your interactions with the Roku Services, such as your browsing history, search history, search results, audio information when you use voice-enabled features, channels you access (including usage statistics such as what channels you access, the time you access them, and how long you spend viewing them), interactions with content and ads, and settings and preferences.

When you use a Roku TV with the Smart TV experience enabled, we use Automatic Content Recognition (“ACR” ) technology to receive information about what live television content you watch via the Roku TV’s antenna, and what you watch via devices connected to your Roku TV, including cable and satellite set top boxes.

We may also share your information with others in connection with or during negotiation of any merger, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer, divestiture or disclosure of all or a portion of our business or assets to another company.

F. Do Not Track
At this time, there is no accepted standard for how to respond to Do Not Track signals, and we do not respond to such signals.

B. Transfers: Roku is a global company with affiliates, varied business processes, management structures and technical systems that cross borders. Information collected by Roku or on our behalf may be stored on your Roku Devices, on your mobile device if you use Roku’s mobile apps, or on our servers, and may be transferred to, accessed from, or stored and processed globally in any other country where Roku or its service providers maintain facilities or call centers, including jurisdictions that may not have data privacy laws that provide protections equivalent to those provided in your home country. While such information is outside of your country of residence, it is subject to the laws of the country in which it is held, and may be subject to disclosure to the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of such other country, pursuant to the laws of such country. We will protect all personal information we obtain in accordance with this Privacy Policy and take reasonable steps to ensure that it is treated lawfully.

Insert horrified face here…

“We collect everything we possibly can, and do with it whatever we want, and if the laws of your country prohibit that, we move it to another country that will let us!” would be a shorter version…

Man this is probably the best[worst] part…

ahem

IT’S IN THE NAME FFS!!!

Also this.

Protect from what exactly? You’ve already stated you’ll give it to anyone and everyone, for money or for free, at any time and place…

Ah here’s the one I was thinking of about software TOS.

Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME!!! I’m so glad I’ve chosen not to use them.

Kodi is the way to go, if you need something like that, or Kodi + Plex or something along those lines IMO.

I’ll have to look into Kodi. Does it support things like Spotify?

Kodi is Xbox Media Center all growed up. It seems to support darn near anything.

GitHub - kodi-community-addons/plugin.audio.spotify: Unofficial spotify plugin for Kodi looks promising but I hear the API may be restricted.

Yeah, Kodi is great! Plays basically anything, or via a Plex plug in if you like Plex server. Not sure Spotify, I don’t use that, so haven’t tried it.

That sounds remarkably like Yahoo’s policy circa 20 years ago… At least they came out and said it, unlike some others of the time.