Which battery spot welder?

Since batteries are good at producing heat during normal use (both discharge and charging) I’m personally wary of relying on hot glue.

I’m still trying to figure out exactly where I want connectors on my systems. I recommend some sort of disconnect between the battery and the PCB.

I built a 3S LiFePo pack for accessories on my bicycle, BMS, external charge connector. The BMS is attached to a blank PCB. When I want to remove it to add a 5V and 12V DC-DC converter, the battery is currently soldered directly to the BMS and isn’t separable from the PCB, so to work on it, I must work with the whole system /live/ which I am not fond of. If I misplace my soldering iron, I can short out the P-/+ terminals, or drop a screwdriver across the BMS and short out the pack directly. Adding a disconnect is probably first on my list of things to do.

I own a lot of “cell phone” battery packs. I think the biggest is “25 AHr”. I’ve wired 2 packs in series to make 10V for my bicycle headlights, but the USB-A connectors have worn out with vibration. I can reliably pull 2A out of the bigger packs. Note that in some of the packs I’ve broken the USB-A jacks off their PCBs, but resoldered them. I have not tried paralleling two USB-A connectors for higher draws (i.e. 3A). Newer USB-C packs can output 9, 12 (optional!?), 15, up to an eye-watering 20V @ 5A (100W). However, to use those modes, you need a “usb-c trigger” module to negotiate the output for you. I have not bought any of these newer packs yet; I’ve made the 25AHr pack my EDC (kinda heavy, but heavy gaming use), but I can power my phone for several days; I can forget a day or two of recharging and not sweat it.

The nice thing is that you can short these packs out and they’ll simply shut down. Caveat: you need to plug it into a charger to wake it back up. If you have multiple packs, great!

If you need 10V, and are using more than one device, make sure you label them as 0-5V and 5-10V, and pack A gets both 0-5V connectors (as both grounds are shorted together), and pack B gets both 5-10V connectors. Not doing this will effectively short out the pack outputs (i.e. short its ground to its 5V output pin).

Headache: Pushing a button to wake up is annoying. Sometimes this style of unit will shut off with too small of a power draw (like a GoPro that’s reached 100% state of charge, requiring you to wake the pack back up before you turn the device on. It’s nearly impossible to tell whether a pack is push-to-wake or always-on. It’s also nearly impossible to tell whether a pack is “charge-through” i.e. the output does not shut off when you plug in a charger. A always-on charge-through pack can be repurposed with zero work into a “UPS” for a 5V device such as a Raspberry Pi.